Monday, June 16, 2008

Bend It Like Beckham and the End of the Innie

We are beginning to think that the child takes after its grandfather, the former college soccer star. On a daily basis, I'm feeling consistent kicking and moving that I can't blame on indigestion. It's not strong enough for other people to feel, but it certainly can be startling to me. I think the cat can feel it, because he's stopped sleeping on it. That, or the fact that my belly is definitely convex now, and it's making it harder for him to keep his balance.

I have read and heard that by the end of the 5th month, your belly button changes from an innie to an outie. For some reason, contrary to all logic, I just assumed I would suddenly wake up and my belly button would be sticking the wrong way -- kind of like a turkey thermometer. But it's a much slower process. Suddenly I'm noticing that the depth is decreasing on a daily basis -- it's almost even with the rest of my abdomen now. It's kind of creepy...

And some other news that I never thought I'd be able to share -- I have not gained enough weight during pregnancy! I'm still in a normal range, but at the low end. It's probably due to the fact that I had such bad morning sickness, and that junk food (with the exception of my much-beloved chocolate malts) grosses me out. I'm actually eating healthier now than I did before I was pregnant. So they're going to be keeping a close eye on me to make sure the baby is developing normally and is at a healthy weight.

Other news: Cystic fibrosis test negative, spina bifida negative. Pfew.

Next step: 20-week ultrasound this Friday -- checks for abnormalities, plus we can find out the gender! (Bets anyone?)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

boy! (hey, i got a 50/50 shot, right)

Unknown said...

[ ] Boy
[ ] Girl
[X] Write In: Ralph Nader

Unknown said...

Aww man, I liked being a collegiate and almost Olympic level soccer player...


I'm confused about this whole thing, its hard to guess

Boy [ ]
[ ] Pat Buchanan
Girl [x]